Don’t be caught out on the trails in a storm with no jacket, on a long hike with no food or water, or without all the extras you need to set up camp for the night. Shop The North Face hiking backpacks to make sure you pack all you need.
Tough trails need tough bags
Not every hike is going to be a gentle stroll to the top of a hill for a scenic photo or two. When you want to hit challenging backcountry trails, you need to know that your bag isn’t going to fail at the worst possible moment. Our hiking backpacks are built with durability and comfort in mind, so they can handle everything you can. Go ahead and stuff your bag extra full with supplies or heavy loads. Take the steepest trail and head out to explore.
From day hikes to long trips
Fans of mountaineering and climbing have specialized bags, so why not pick up the best hiking backpack for your needs? Day hikers can benefit from a lightweight day hiking backpack while campers will appreciate lash points and sleeping bag compartments. And if you’re looking for a multi-use pack, there are plenty of bags available that can transition from a hiking trip to class, to work or the gym.
Maybe even more important than size is comfort. With a range of hiking backpack designs, you’ll find comfort whatever your body type. Load Lifter packs mean pack weight is distributed and balanced on more than just your shoulder strap, so you can really settle in for the long haul. We also have different size hiking and travel backpacks to fit a range of mens and women’s torso lengths. We focus on comfort without compromising functionality. Mesh back panels provide breathability, compression straps add extra cushioning, and ultralight internal frames reduce excess weight and bulkiness. Clambering over rocks or tackling tricky sections of trail has never been as easy, even with a full pack.
Hiking Backpacks FAQs
How big of a hiking backpack do I need?
- For multi-day excursions, try a durable technical pack that is super lightweight like the Terra 55 Backpack.
- If you're headed out on a day trip, a smaller packable daypack is ideal for camping (or commuting) on a daily basis.
- If you need to really go the distance, a large or extra-large backpack is built to comfortably take on larger hauls. Try the Griffin 75 Backpack on for size.
How much should backpacks weigh?
A fully loaded hiking backpack should not exceed 10% of your body weight. If you're in it for the long-haul with a multi-day backpacking trip, your fully loaded pack should not exceed 20% of your body weight when you hit the trail.
Generally, we recommend picking the lightest backpack possible that meets your needs. The lighter the backpack construction, the more space there is for you to store all of your essential gear while on the go.
What kind of backpack will you bring in hiking situations?
The type of backpack you pick will depend on a few factors, namely the length of your trip, how much gear you are likely to carry, and your own personal preference regarding size and weight distribution.
- If you tend to multitask to the max, go for a simple Top-Loader Daypack that's durable and built to handle anything life throws your way.
- If you're looking to level up your hiking gear, go for a state-of-the-art pack that's literally built to go the distance. Plus, the top-notch Griffin 75 Backpack comes in multiple sizes so you can find the perfect fit in minutes.
- Consider the equipment and gear you want to take with you on your next excursion. If trekking poles, extra clothing or carrying a sleeping pad are factors, a back pack with lots of storage - either a large main compartment or lots of external pockets - can help you keep everything organized.
For the young hikers in your life, we've also got plenty of options for little adventurers. Our Kids Sprout Backpack is specifically designed for toddlers who love to explore.
What colour backpack for hiking is best?
When you're out in the wilderness, bright colours are a must-have if you're trekking alone. We recommend bright orange, bold red, or rich blue hues that will make you easy to spot while tackling the trailhead.
Of course, it also all comes down to style. If you're looking to move from work to the weekend with ease, a more simple colour scheme (and professional daypack) may be more your thing. While we offer classic hiking packs that are built for adventure, and also have more modern and minimalist hiking backpacks that are packed with functional extras with a sleek look.