Kristoffer Erickson has established first ascents and descents on six continents, published mountain photography in magazines like National Geographic, achieved IFMGA/UIAGM international certification as a mountain guide, and helped to create a non-profit foundation in Morocco. His list of achievements spans more than two decades and six continents, on skis, on rock, and on ice. Through more than 40 expeditions to places like Antarctica, Nepal, Tibet, Pakistan, Peru, Alaska, the European Alps, and his native Montana, he’s amassed a broad resume rarely matched in the hills.
Kristoffer grew up in rural Montana. Before his 21st birthday, he connected with Alex Lowe and Conrad Anker, embarking on an apprenticeship that honed him into a world-class all-arounder in the mountains. By the age of 25, he had climbed M8/WI6 lines in Hyalite Canyon, linked huge ice routes in the Canadian Rockies, climbed 5.12 on rock, made the fifth descent on skis of the classic SE face of Artesonraju (6025m) and attempted a ski-descent of the SW face of Shishapangma (8188m).
From a new winter route on Tawoche (6501m) to the unclimbed SW ridge of Chukyima Go (6258m) to “The Shield” on Huascaran (6768m) and Rakse Peak in Nepal (5500m), Kristopher’s first descents speak volumes about his versatility. He’s summited Everest in a single day and performed extensive new-routing on rock in Morocco’s Taghia Gorge (routes up to 5.12d and 700m in length). He was also the first American to ski off an 8000m peak (Cho Oyu, 8201m) and also skied the west face of Lhotse from 7500m in an attempt to ski the west couloir in 2011.
His guiding resume runs almost as long as his personal achievements, safely partnering with guests in locations like Antarctica, Svalbard, Morocco, Greenland, the European Alps and Nepal, on peaks like Ama Dablam. With a BA in Photography, his work has appeared in National Geographic, Outside Magazine, Men’s Journal, Sports Illustrated, Alpinist, Campo Base, Desnivel, Climbing and Rock & Ice, among others. He continues to push his climbing and skiing from his home base in Chamonix, France, where he lives with Cloe and Noor, his ten-year-old daughter who is the U10 Nordic skiing champion for the Haute Savoie region of France and speaks Arabic, Berber, French and English.
- First descent SE couloir Mt Frances, Denali National Park 2018
- First ascent of SW ridge Chukyima Go 6258m, Rowaling Himal, Nepal, 2017
- Established Nutcracker, WI6 M8+, Hyalite Canyon, MT 2014
- Summits of both Everest 8848m and Lhotse 8516 in under 24 hours, 2012
- Ski descent of West face of Lhotse 8516m from 7500m, 2011
- First descent of Rakse Peak 5500m, Nepal, 2009
- First ascent in winter on NE Ridge Tawoche 6501m, Nepal, 2007
- First American male to ski off the summit of an 8000m peak, ChoOyu 8201m, Tibet 2002
- Six expeditions on 8000 meter peaks. (Shishapangma 1999,2007; ChoOyu 2002; Gasherbrum II 2008; Lhotse 2011; Lhotse & Everest 2012)
- Dozens of first descents throughout the Antarctic Peninsula 2000-2018