THE NORTH FACE ENDURANCE CHALLENGE SERIES (ECS) RULES AND CODE OF CONDUCT
All participants, attendees, pacers, and crew members must adhere to the following rules. By participating in or attending an event, you agree to adhere to these rules. Violating any of these rules, including violating the ECS Code of Conduct, will result in runner disqualiﬁcation, as determined by The North Face in its sole and absolute discretion.
ECS Code of Conduct
As an athlete competing in a The North Face Endurance Challenge Series (ECS) event, I agree and attest that the following statements are true:
- I understand that The North Face is committed to clean sport and does not condone the use of performance enhancing drugs or banned substances at any level of competition.
- I understand that The North Face recommends that all athletes competing in any The North Face event and sport in general should educate themselves on the anti-doping rules and banned substances established by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and on other anti-doping rules and policies, including those referenced below.
- I understand that athletes who have been banned from competition by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA), any national sports federation, or a similar organization identified by The North Face, for a violation of applicable anti-doping rules or policies, are prohibited from competing at any ECS event while the ban is effective.
- I understand that once such ban has been served and officially lifted, the athlete may compete at any ECS event, however, such athlete (1) will forever be ineligible to receive prize money, awards, podium recognition, or overall or age group competitive rankings at any ECS event, and (2) may not participate in the ECS 50-mile event elite field (I also understand that if a ban is overturned on appeal or otherwise vacated, the athlete will be eligible to compete on the same terms as all other athletes and will be eligible for prize money, awards, etc.).
- I understand that The North Face shall have sole and absolute discretion in determining whether a qualifying ban was imposed.
- I understand that this policy is subject to change by The North Face at any time.
I agree that if I am ever banned from competition by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA), any other national sports federation, or a similar organization identified by The North Face, for a violation of applicable anti-doping rules or policies: (1) I will forfeit any ECS event in which I competed while the ban was effective and return any associated prize money, awards, etc., (2) I will forever be ineligible to receive prize money, awards, podium recognition or overall or age group competitive rankings at any ECS event, (3) I will forever be ineligible to participate in the ECS 50-mile event elite field, and (4) The North Face will have sole and absolute discretion in determining whether a qualifying ban was imposed.
- Absolutely no exchanging, transferring or selling of bibs to others.
- In the event of unforeseen changes to courses due to weather, permits, etc., runners may change their race distance by checking in with the event staff at registration.
- Minor Policy: Each race distance has minimum age requirements that participants must meet on race day in order to participate. Age requirements are as follows:
- 5K: 6 years of age
- 10K & Marathon Relay: 9 years of age
- Half Marathon: 12 years of age
- Marathon Relay: 9 years of age
- Marathon, 50K & 50 Mile: 18 years of age
- Individuals not meeting the above age requirements who have completed multiple races of the same or longer distances in the past may request an exemption from the race staff. For more information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Runners may only start with your designated race. If you are more the 15 minutes late to your race, you will be automatically dropped down to the next race. You must re-check in at registration.
- Transfer Policy: If you wish to transfer your entry to another race distance or location, you can make the edit through your registration account. Have your confirmation or account number ready and follow the instructions. All transfers will incur a $10 Transfer Fee along with any incremental registration fees. Participants may not defer their registration to the following year. All transfer requests must be received no later than the day of the race for which you are registered. No transfers will be accepted post-race.
- Cancellation Policy: All race participant purchases are final. If, for any reason, you cannot participate, the entry fee will not be refunded; however, race gear will be available for pickup at any time during regularly scheduled Packet Pickup hours and location(s) and on race day. The North Face Endurance Challenge will take place rain or shine. Only a "force majeure" event will be cause for cancellation. In the event of a cancellation, no refunds or credits will be applied to future events and race gear will NOT be mailed.
- Each runner’s official race number must be worn prominently on the front of the body and must be easily visible at all times.
- Use of iPods and mp3 players is strongly discouraged for safety reasons. Please take caution if you plan on running with music for your safety and the safety of those around you.
- There will be no unregistered runners (or unregistered pacers) allowed on-course.
- Runners must follow the marked trail at all times. Any runner departing from the official trail must return to the point of departure on foot before continuing.
- Each runner must be checked IN at all Aid Station checkpoints. It is the runner’s responsibility to check in at each Aid Station by announcing your bib number to a volunteer.
- Any runner dropping out of the race must notify an event official at a manned Aid Station.
- If you abandon the event without notifying a volunteer at an Aid Station, you will be responsible for your own safety and will be responsible for paying all related costs and expenses if a Search and Rescue team is sent out on your behalf and you are not on the race course.
- All cut-off times will be strictly enforced. Runners must depart the checkpoint BEFORE the cut-off time. Runners that do not clear the aid station checkpoints within the established time limits will not be allowed to continue the race. Cut-off times can be found in the pace charts included in the distance specific course guides.
- Ofﬁcials have the right to remove any runner, pacer, crew member, or attendee from the course deemed necessary for their safety and the safety of all others.
- Runners may not store supplies of any kind along the trail and are not permitted to accept aid except within 100 feet/30 meters of each designated aid station on either side.
- Except in case of medical emergency, runners may not accept aid or assistance in any form from anyone, except within 100 feet/30 meters of each designated aid station on either side.
- No muling by pacers, crew or other registered runners. Runners may not receive aid outside of the designated aid stations, have others hand them aid or have others carry items (water bottles, running packs, gels, etc.) on their behalf.
- Each runner must complete the entire course under his own power. No physical or mechanical aids are allowed, including but not limited to ski poles, hiking sticks or crampons.
- Runners are responsible for the actions of their spectators, crews and pacers. Everyone associated with the event must comply with all rules and regulations issued by the race staff. For specific pacer and crew rules, please consult the course guide for your specific race location and distance.
- Absolutely no littering. If you, your crew, or your pacer abandons anything (e.g., drink cups, gel packets, banana peels, clothes, etc.) on the race course, you will be disqualiﬁed and banned from entering future Endurance Challenge events.
- Only attempt to pass another runner when it is safe for both you and the other runner to do so. When passing, make every attempt to pass on their left, unless it is unsafe. Announce your intention to pass by saying, “passing on your left” (or right, if it is unsafe to pass on their left). Provided it is safe to do so, yield to any runner who announces his/her intention to pass, by stepping off the trail.
- Be prepared to share the trail with runners coming from the opposite direction.
- Runners must refrain from any act of unsportsmanlike conduct.
- No weapons, personal alcohol, glass bottles, smoking or illegal drugs will be permitted on the course, aid stations or Finish Festival.
- Runners crossing the finish line after the official cutoff will not be listed as official finishers.
- Pet Policy: The local parks and venues hosting the event will determine whether pets are allowed on premise at the event. Please check their individual policy before bringing your pet to the event. If pets are allowed on premises, they must be kept on a leash at all times. Pets are not allowed on-course during the race or on any race transportation buses unless approved in advance by The North Face Endurance Challenge team. Please contact us at email@example.com for questions regarding the pet policy.
- Runners, spectators, pacers and crew may only park in the designated parking areas approved by the event. Please check the course guides and parking and shuttle information page for your event for more information.
- Runners, spectators, pacers and crew must adhere to all policies and requirements found in the course guides or any other materials provided by The North Face.
- If requested, runners shall provide proper documentation proving eligibility for prize money (form W-9, W-8ECI or W-8BEN) upon finishing in the top 3 male or female finishing positions in the 50 Mile race
The North Face “ECS Ambassadors” Rewards Program
Sponsored by The North Face, a division of VF Outdoor, Inc., Alameda, CA 94502 (“The North Face” or “Sponsor”).
1. Who Can Apply. Legal residents of the United States or Canada, ages 18 (or age of majority, whichever is older), or over, who are registered for the 2017 The North Face Endurance Series Races in Ontario (Canada), Massachusetts, Utah or Wisconsin. If you were part of last year’s ECS Ambassador Program, you MAY apply. Employees of The North Face, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates and agencies are not eligible.
3. ECS Ambassador Members- Qualifying for Rewards. Sponsor will select up to 30 Applicants as members of the ECS Ambassadors. Those accepted will be notified via email before or about September 10, 2017; if not accepted, you will NOT be notified. ECS Ambassador members will receive a unique code which can be redeemed by other persons for a 15% discount off of the registration fee (team or individual) for any race which is included within the 2017 Endurance Series Races in Ontario (Canada), Massachusetts, Utah or Wisconsin. ECS Ambassador members receive rewards based on the number of times that their unique discount code is used in full accordance with its terms by other persons for registration for any race included within the above-indicated Endurance Series Races as follows:
5 registrations – Refund of your registration fee*
10 registrations – The North Face hat and Better Than Naked Shirt**
20 registrations - $100 The North Face gift card***
50 registrations - $500 The North Face gift card***
100 registrations – Trip to 2017-2018 Endurance Series Race of choice, including international race****
*Maximum value of $200.(USD) Awarded as a refund on the credit card you used during registration.
**Color, size and style subject to availability.
***Subject to terms and conditions of use as indicated thereon.
****Trip is subject to availability. Selected race must be approved by The North Face in its sole discretion. Trip must be completed by 12/10/2018 and has an approximate retail value of $1250. (USD) Additional restrictions apply.
An ECS Ambassador member's final registration total will be determined as of September 24, 2017 at 11:59 PM EST. Once initial level (of (5) registrations) is achieved, higher registration levels subsume all lower registration levels. Accordingly, after refund of registration fee, an ECS Ambassador member will only receive (1) reward corresponding to the highest registration level achieved in the Program. In addition, The North Face will NOT round up the number of registrations in determining the registration level achieved by an ECS Ambassador member.
Should The North Face provide status updates as to the number of registrations using a given ECS Ambassador member's discount code or other Program-related information, such updates may not be current at any given time, are intended for informational purposes only and are in no way binding upon The North Face.
4. Restrictions on Sharing of Discount Code/Using Endurance Series Race & The North Face Content.
If sharing discount code via social media, such sharing must be in full accordance with the terms and conditions of social media platform utilized, as applicable. Discount code should be shared only with persons/groups who you believe would be interested in registering for/participating in one of the above-indicated Endurance Series Races. DO NOT USE THE DISCOUNT CODE TO “SPAM” PERSONS. Whenever sharing the discount code, you must include the hashtag #TNFAMBPromo to signify that The North Face is providing you with an incentive in conjunction with sharing the discount code.
If you link to the Endurance Series Race areas of the www.thenorthface.com or use any other The North Face content, you agree to maintain all trademark and copyright notices in the original form provided. At all times, as between you and The North Face, The North Face owns any and all rights in and to The North Face content. Any use of The North Face content other than as specifically set forth herein is prohibited and in violation of The North Face’s rights.
5. Reward Redemption. Once initial registration level (of (5) registrations) is achieved, ECS Ambassador member will receive an email notification from Sponsor. Allow 1-2 weeks for receipt of refund via online credit. For all other registration levels, ECS Ambassador member will be notified of registration level achieved via email on or about October 15, 2017. Allow 2-3 weeks for receipt of reward/reward information via postal mail. Rewards cannot be returned or exchanged once issued. The North Face reserves the right in its sole discretion to condition issuance of reward upon ECS Ambassador member providing satisfactory proof of compliance with these Terms and Conditions.
6. Release of Rights.
Persons applying for the Program and those persons accepted as ECS Ambassador members agree to release and hold harmless The North Face, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, employees and agents from any and all liability in conjunction with the Program.
7. Additional Conditions.
Any taxes on rewards are ECS Ambassador member's sole responsibility; issuance of rewards will be reported to applicable governmental authorities as required by law. All expenses incurred in applying for Program (and, for ECS Ambassador members, in participating in the Program) are the applicant’s/participant’s sole responsibility.
All decisions of The North Face regarding the Program (including admission to the Program and registration level achieved by ECS Ambassador members) are final and binding in all respects and are not subject to appeal.
Sponsor expressly disclaims any and all liability for electronic, programming, technological error/malfunction/failure which affects the Program in any manner or for late, lost, stolen, garbled, corrupted, blocked/inaccessible communications.
Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to suspend, terminate or modify the Application Process or the Program at any time without liability, due to any cause beyond its control (i.e., force majeure event). In such case, Sponsor will seek to review Applications and/or conduct the Program (as applicable) in a manner that Sponsor determines is fair, appropriate and in accordance with these Terms and Conditions. Notice of such action by Sponsor will be disseminated to all Applicants or ECS Ambassador members, as applicable.
Any and all disputes regarding the Program or these Terms and Conditions shall be governed by the internal, substantive law of California (USA). Any action must be brought individually (NOT as part of a class action) in federal or state court in Alameda County, California (USA) and, in any such action, a person is only entitled to recover actual costs involved in applying for and (if applicable) participating in the Program (if any), with all rights to attorneys’ fees and any and all damages (including special, punitive, consequential damages) being expressly waived.
Should any provision of these Terms and Conditions be deemed by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid or unenforceable, such provision shall be stricken and replaced with a substitute provision which is valid and enforceable and most closely approximates the original intent of Sponsor. The invalidity/unenforceability of one provision shall not affect any other provision of these Terms and Conditions.