The $500,000 total grant funding will be divided between the two categories described in the applications details section. Typical awards are between $5,000 and $25,000. The Explore Fund is a highly competitive grant program and a limited number are awarded each year. Awarded grantees are not guaranteed their full funding request.
Applications should show how funding will be applied to a particular project or program. Additional budget guidance appears in the application.
WE DO NOT FUND
- Organizations without 501(c)(3) status or without a qualified 501(c)(3) fiscal sponsor
- Programs without a significant outdoor component or activities that are not aligned with the activities and interests of The North Face
- General outdoor day camps or summer camps unless outdoor recreation activities or skill building are core and significant to the overall purpose/mission
- Research, white papers and conferences
- Endowment or capital fund campaigns
- Ropes courses
- Dancing and art classes
- Advocacy or political campaigns
- Sustainability, green building projects, or landscape projects
- Land acquisitions, land trusts or conservation easements
- Most salaries
- Film, video, book or movie projects
- Projects outside the U.S.