Freeskier / Halfpipe
South Lake Tahoe native Maddie Bowman was introduced to skiing on her second birthday when her father, a former pro skier, and mother, a former ski racer and elite gymnast, encouraged her down their local hill, Sierra-at-Tahoe.
It wasn’t long until a simple birthday celebration magnified into Maddie speeding through the ranks of local alpine racing programs. Ultimately combining her discipline, clean form and passion for the mountains, she found her truest niche in freeskiing.
Maddie built her base on the snow racing for the ski area teams Rippers, Buddy Werner and the Sierra at Tahoe Education Foundation. She later graduated to leading the Foundation Freeride Team.
Not quite the same path as her fellow high school seniors, seventeen-year-old Maddie balanced her academic workload, training and an explosive debut on the professional freeskiing halfpipe scene. This 2012 season saw Maddie atop the podium at nearly every major event she entered.
Within a matter of months, Maddie went from previously uninvited to the Dew Tour in December 2011 to taking the victory in the Killington, VT stop as well as a third place finish in Snowbasin, UT. She credits her win at a Rev Tour event and fourth place finish at the VISA U.S. Grand Prix at Copper Mountain, CO for securing her invitation in January 2012.
By the time high school graduation arrived, Maddie had gone on to earn the silver medal at the X Games in Aspen, firming up her second place overall in the AFP women’s halfpipe rankings.
The 2013 season witnessed Maddie continue her trajectory as a top athlete on the competition circuit. She has podiumed at every competition she has entered, including winning both the VISA U.S. Grand Prix events in Copper Mountain and Park City, second at the Dew Tour in Breckenridge, and an impressive gold medal at the 2013 Winter X Games in Aspen, CO.
Maddie’s passion for the outdoors goes beyond skiing. During her off-season months, this self-proclaimed “outdoorsy-type” can’t sit still for too long. She enjoys hiking with her dog, Charlie, and backpacking in the Lake Tahoe area. Off the slopes, the versatile athlete excels in other sports from mountain biking to wakeboarding to soccer. She even captained her high school soccer team to two state championship titles.
Now a student at Westminister College in Utah, Maddie continues to define the “all-around athlete” balancing training, competition and academics. A member of the U.S. Freeskiing Pro team, Maddie has her sights on the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia.
- 1st, HP, 2013
- 2nd, HP, 2012
- 9th, Overall, 2012
- Bronze, HP, Tignes, FRA 2013
- Gold, HP, Aspen, CO 2013
- Silver, HP, Aspen, CO 2012
FIS WORLD CUP
- Three podiums during 2013 season
- Finished 5th in HP standings, 2013
- 1st, HP, VISA U.S. Grand Prix, Overall National Champion, 2013
- 1st, HP, VISA U.S. Grand Prix, Park City Mountain Resort, UT 2013
- 1st, HP, VISA U.S. Grand Prix, Copper Mountain, CO 2013
- 3rd, HP, VISA U.S. Grand Prix, Mammoth Mountain, CA, 2012
- 4th, HP, VISA U.S. Grand Prix, Copper Mountain, CO, 2011
- 2nd, HP, Dew Tour, Breckenridge, CO 2012
- 1st, HP, The North Face Park and Pipe Open, Copper, CO 2012
- 1st, HP, AFP World Championships, Whistler, CAN, 2012
- 1st, HP, Dew Tour, Killington, VT, 2012
- 1st, HP U.S. Rev Tour, Northstar-at-Tahoe, CA, 2012
- 3rd, HP, Dew Tour, Snowbasin, UT, 2012
- 3rd, HP, New Zealand Winter Games, Snowpark, NZ