At only 17-years-old, Aaron Blunck is still relatively new to freeskiing. His time in the professional ranks may be limited, but his accomplishments to date are significant.
Born and raised in Crested Butte, Colorado, Blunck’s family roots in skiing run deep. His grandfather started the first ski school in the area, starting a rich family tradition of time on the slopes. A few months after his first steps came Blunck’s first run. His first tracks were made at only 18-months old and he began competing at eight-years-old.
His parlay into the professional ranks began when he earned the bronze medal at the inaugural Youth Winter Games. Deemed an “up-and-comer to watch,” Blunck exceeded expectations ascending the podium five times in the 2011 – 2012 season (USSA U.S. Revolution Tour, Gatorade FreeFlow, The North Face Park and Pipe Open Series, USASA Nationals and USSA Junior Nationals).
Blunck’s talent and staying power has only improved with age. His 2013 season began with a podium spot at The North Face Park & Pipe Open Series, finishing third, followed by a another second place finish at the Visa U.S. Freeskiing Grand Prix at Copper Mountain.
With a World Cup podium under his belt, Blunck credits the confidence he gained at these events for earning him his first X Games invitation – a landmark he had not anticipated this season. His biggest take away in 2013? Simply, the opportunity to do what he loves, and most of all, have fun.
“This was my first year on the pro circuit and definitely the best year thus far! I got to travel all over the world and ski with some of my best friends.”
One secret to his success? Blunck immediately credits his parents as his inspiration to be the best he can be.
Away from competition, the teenager is just that – a teenager. He enjoys hanging with his friends. Their favorite recent pasttime? Off the slopes and on the basketball court.
Blunck may be young in age, but carries a wisdom and drive beyond his years. With his smooth yet aggressive style, he will continue to be a force to be reckoned with for years to come.
Hometown: Crested Butte, Co
Words to Live By/Personal Mantra: YOLO
Two Things You Always Pack: My Phone, Wallet
Training Nutrition: Protein and steak
Favorite Movie: Pineapple Express and Step Brothers
Favorite Book: Any Picture Book
Proudest Sporting Moment: Getting an invite to X Games
Favorite North Face Product: Men’s Seaworth down jacket
How I Relax: Just listening to music and lying on the couch
Weakness: Deathly afraid of Snakes and oversleeping my alarm clock
Inspiration Within the Sport: Anyone who is skiing extremely well!
Dream Vacation: Antarctica
Causes You Are Passionate About: I am passionate about keeping winter protected, and helping to inspire people to ski.
Favorite Destination for Your Sport: Norway and Whistler
Favorite Piece of History in Your Sport: Henrik Harlaut’s nose butter triple at X Games Big Air.
Three Things People Should Know About Me:
- I love sushi.
- I love taking long walks in blizzards.
- I manage a football team… Fantasy football that is!
- X GAMES 7th, HP, Aspen, CO, 2013 11th, HP, Tignes, FRA
- FIS WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS 6th, HP, Voss, NOR
- GRAND PRIX 2nd, HP, Copper Mountain, CO, 2013
- 1st, HP, Aspen/Snowmass Freeskiing Open, Aspen, CO
- AFP Rankings - 4th, Overall and 5th, HP
- 1st, HP, USASA Nationals, Copper Mountain, CO
- 2nd, HP, Gatorade FreeFlow Tour, Brighton, UT
- 2nd, HP, USSA Revolution Tour, Copper Mountain, CO
- 2nd, HP, USSA Junior Nationals, Steamboat Springs, CO
- Bronze, HP, Youth Olympic Games, Kuehtai, AUT
- 3rd, HP, The North Face Park and Pipe Open Series, Copper Mountain, CO
- 4th, HP, The North Face Park and Pipe Open Series, Whistler, BC
- HP, USSA Revolution Tour, Otsego, MI
- 4th, HP, Aspen/Snowmass Open, Aspen, CO
- AFP Rankings - 17th, Overall and 29th, HP