Growing up in Kamloops, British Columbia, Dana Flahr learned to ski at the age of 8 on the local ski hill. By the time the teen years hit he was already a regular fixture in Whistler, B.C., immersing himself in the scene and learning everything he could about big mountain skiing.
Now, at the wise old age of 23, Dana’s determination is paying off big-time, and he’s getting the attention and exposure that little 8-year-old dreamed about on the bunny hill. When he’s not wowing the judges in freeskiing competitions all over North America, Dana heads into the backcountry to work with photographers and filmmakers. Yet, despite his status as The One to Watch, ( Freeze magazine tagged him as “the best up-and-coming skier” in 2003), Dana remains humble and passionate about skiing, claiming that “there will always be something new to learn” about his sport.
To stay in shape in the off season Dana mountain bikes or hits the gym. He also spends time grooming the next generation of skiers as a coach at Momentum and High North Ski Camps.
Favorite Book: Cash, by Johnny Cash
Home: Whistler, British Columbia, Canada
Greatest Fear: Elements I can’t control, like avalanches.
Recent Achievement: Appeared in Teton Gravity Research’s film, The Tangerine Dream
- 2nd, Silver King Freeskiing Challenge, Crystal Mountain, WA, 2004
- 6th, U.S. Freeskiing Nationals, Snowbird, UT, 2004
- 12th overall, IFSA World Tour standings, 2004
- Sick Bird Award, North American Freeskiing Finals, Kirkwood, CA, 2003
- 1st overall, IFSA North American Freeskiing Tour, 2003
- 1st, Silver King Freeskiing Challenge, Crystal Mountain, WA, 2003
- 1st, Molson Canadian Freeskiing Challenge Qualifiers, Red Mountain, B.C., 2003
- 3rd, North American Freeskiing Finals, Kirkwood, CA, 2003
- 3rd, Canadian Freeskiing Championships Qualifier, Whistler, B.C., 2003
- 4th, Molson Canadian Freeskiing Challenge, Red Mountain, B.C., 2003
- The Tangerine Dream, Teton Gravity Research, 2005
- New film by Focus Productions, 2005
- Stimulus, Rage Films/Team Thirteen Productions
- Disturbing the Piste, Jib Culture Productions
- Volume 12, Blue Ribbon Productions
- Reality, Pimpin Frogz Productions
- Game On, One Up Films
- The Playground, 2 Track Productions
- First Strike, Pimpin Frogz Productions
- Versys, 2 Track Productions
- Outside magazine: Rising star on “The Hot List: 2006 Ski and Snowboard Report,” Nov. 2005
- Mention as “best up and coming skier,” Freeze magazine, 2003
- Full-page photos, interviews, movie reviews and other mentions have appeared in Freeze, Powder, Freeskier, SBC Skier, and Ski Canada magazines.