Wardian started running and competing in triathlons in 1996 after finishing his lacrosse career at Michigan State University, where he played attack for the Division 1 team.
Michael’s first marathon was the 1996 Marine Corps Marathon. With a time of 3:08, Wardian qualified for the Boston Marathon and has since completed more than 150 marathons, 60+ Ultra Marathons on three continents, twenty triathlons, including Iron Man Lake Placid.
Michael is a three time United States of America Olympic Trails Qualifier in 2004, 2008, 2012, and in 2011, set his personal best marathon time of 2:17:49 at the Grandma’s Marathon. Michael has won over 30 marathons, including wins at the Rock & Rock USA SunTrust National Marathon, The Mercedes Marathon, The Shamrock Marathon, The Lower Potomac Marathon, The San Francisco Marathon, The Kauai Marathon, The Hartford Marathon, The Delaware Marathon. Michael has also set Guinness World Records for fastest marathon with a pram (jog stroller), on an indoor track, on a treadmill and as a superhero.
Michael is a five time member of Team USA for the 100K World Championships in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and lead Team USA in 2011 for Gold Medal and finished 2nd overall for a Silver medal.
He is a two time member of Team USA for the 50K World Championships in 2009, 2010, and both years, Michael was the Bronze medalist for the USA.
Michael has also competed in some of the toughest races on the plant, including the Marathon Des Sables, where he was 3rd overall in 2010 and the Badwater Ultra Marathon in Death Valley, where he was 3rd overall in 2011.
Michael has been selected USATF Ultra Runner of the year in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and was 2nd in voting for Ultrarunning Magazine Ultra Runner of the Year in 2011. Michael was named the International Association of Ultra Runners 2010 Ultra Runner of the year.
Michael has a beautiful wife, Jennifer and two young sons, Pierce & Grant. Michael also works full time as an International Ship Broker for Potomac Maritime, LLC in Washington, DC, near where he grew up.
Most Humbling Moment: July 12, 2011-133 miles in Badwater Ultra Marathon and not knowing if I could finish…
Ambition: To never stop exploring my boundaries and pushing the limits of what I and other people think is possible.
Favorite Snack: Fruit-Bananas, Apples, Oranges, Grapes, Watermelon, etc..
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
How I Relax: Hanging out with my family.
Nickname: “Iron Mike”
Favorite Destination For Your Sport: Think my favorite destination is somewhere I haven’t run before but from the places I have the chance to visit I would say it is a tie between Kauai and the Sahara Desert in Morocco.
Favorite Movie: Lost in Translation
Favorite Magazine: Runner’s World & Running Times
Words to Live By: Time to Shine
Three TNF Products You Always Pack:
- Base Camp Duffel Bag - it rocks and works like a charm.
- My TNF “Better Than Naked Shorts” - they are the best and I love them and the way they feel.
- My “Hydrogen Jacket” - nothing is lighter but as warm.
Which Causes Are You Passionate About: I am passionate about fitness and getting kids involved in the outdoors and I work with local running clubs and running store to promote running and a healthy lifestyle. I am also interested in getting parents outside and exercising with their children to try and show people that you can have a full time job but still follow your dreams and achieve more than you think you can.
Proudest Moment Of Your Career: Qualifying for my first Olympic Trials in 2011 for the 2012 Men’s Marathon Olympic Trials and finishing the Badwater Ultra Marathon.
Favorite Trail: My favorite running route is called the “good loop” and is my lunch run near my office, great mix of trails, road, hills and rocks.
Theme Music: I like a bunch of different music but when getting ready for a race, nothing gets me as excited as “Rage Against the Machine” and follow that with some Johnny Cash & John Denver.
- 5 time National Marathon Champion-Washington, DC (2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011)
- Bronze Medal at 2009 & 2010 50K World Championships-Gibraltar, Gibraltar
- 3rd Place at 2010-100K World Championships-Gibraltar, Gibraltar (Silver Medal-Team)
- 6th Place at 2009-100K World Championships-Torhout, Belgium
- USATF National Champion: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 USATF 50K National Championships
- USATF National Champion: 2008-USATF 50 Mile Trail Championships
- USATF National Champion: 2008-USATF 100K
- USATF 100K World Team Member: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- 11th place at Comrades Marathon-2011 (Wally Haywood Medal winner & 1st USA Athlete)
- 3rd place at Marathon Des Sables-2010 (Highest finish ever by a USA male athlete)
- 2004, 2008, 2012 Men’s Olympic Marathon Trials Qualifier
- IAU Ultra Runner of the Year 2010
- USATF Ultra Runner of the Year-2008 & 2009 & 2010
- New York Road Runners Ultra Runner of the Year: 2009