From the Peak District in the UK, James has made a name for himself on God’s own rock. By the age of 19 he was one of the UK’s brightest talents and his outstanding affinity with rock has since led him worldwide in search of the hardest lines.
His first ascents of The Groove and The Walk Of Life (UK), two of the most technically difficult routes in the world, have raised the bar for hard traditional climbing.
Following his outstanding ascent with The Walk of Life, James felt he had reached a plateau with his climbing and needed to change his focus if he was to continue to develop and improve. He had the courage to question and challenge himself, and chose to work on his weakness - sport climbing. Training has been long and tough, and at ever greater intensity, but rewarding as James starts to reap the fruits of his work.
He continues to explore his limits, demanding more and more of himself as he works on his sport endurance. His dream for the future is to reach unknown heights and to continue to push the standards of extreme traditional climbing. Motivated by opportunities to ‘step into the unknown’ and living by the philosophy of letting life ‘flow’, James has a fervor and passion for climbing that inspires.
Home: Born in England, living in Austria. The journey never stops…
Words to Live By: You can have your cake and eat it, just be careful of growing fat!
Favorite TNF Product: The Base Camp Duffle. It has been with me everywhere, taken beating after beating, and is still going strong!
Theme Music: Only the very best Breaks. Check out Krafty Kuts for an idea of what you have been missing…
Favorite Book: Changes all the time… Recently enjoyed L’élégance du hérisson, and currently stuck into Perfume: The story of a Murderer.
Favorite Snack: I shouldn’t say chocolate, but its true!
Favorite Cooks: Luckily, my girlfriend or my mother. Perhaps I am just too easy to please.
Favorite Destination: It all depends what I am doing, and who with…
Inspiration Within the Sport: People surpassing what they previously thought impossible.
Most Recent Epic: A certain trip to climb towers in the desert, with a certain man called Mark.
Three Things I Always Pack: Voltarol, Cipro and Vallium – Enough for most sticky situations ;)
Favorite Piece of History Within the Sport: The invention of the Friend, it revolutionized Trad climbing.
My Weakness: Good food – inside there is a fat person just waiting to escape!
Personal Website: www.realbigpimp.in, www.jamespearsonclimbing.blogspot.com
- 2011 Muy Caliente E10 ground-up. The first and only person in the world to climb E10 without “top-rope” practice!
- 2011 Numerous on-sights of E8’s in Pembroke, South Wales. The current top level achieved in this style
- 2010 On-sight first ascents of Big walls in Tasmania
- 2009 Gerty Berwick – Regarded as the hardest route on Gritstone
- 2009 The End Of The Affair E8 on-sight. The hardest level to be on-sighted on Gritstone
- 2008 The Walk Of Life – One of the most mentally demanding traditional routes James has ever done
- 2008 The Groove – The Peak District’s most infamous project
- 2005 Equilibrium – The original E10, James made the fastest and youngest ascent
Bouldering: Several flashes of V13 boulder problems, including
- The Ganymede Takeover (Brione, CH)
- The Great Shark Hunt (Chironico, CH)
- Schule des Lebens (Chironico, CH)
- Many sport routes up to 8c+, all around the world
- Several on-sights and flashes up to Fr8b